08/28/11 12:43 AM ET
Fan falls on stairwell at Rangers Ballpark
By Louie Horvath / MLB.com
Washington sticks with same lineup
ARLINGTON -- After Friday's 11-run outburst, Rangers manager Ron Washington decided to trot out the same lineup again Saturday against the Angels in the hopes of sustaining that offensive output.David Murphy got a second day in the lineup after going 3-for-5 with a grand slam in Friday's game. Murphy has struggled to earn consistent playing time, as he has only started back-to-back games four times since July 1, and has started three consecutive games just once. "The lineup yesterday worked, so I'm going to stick with it," Washington said. "[Ervin Santana's] another right-hander, and [Murphy's] battled Santana before, so I'm just sticking with the same lineup." The other big contributor from the 11-run outing, Nelson Cruz, stayed in the seventh spot again on Saturday even after driving in six runs with two home runs the night before. Cruz had been dropped in the lineup from his usual five spot after batting .208 with a .333 slugging percentage in his previous 19 games entering Friday. Washington said the key to Cruz's performance was his ability to hit the ball to center field. "When you stay in the big part of the field, nothing has the opportunity to break down," Washington said. "That's where his success is. He's so strong -- I would never try to use the small part of the field with his strength, but that's something he has to figure out mentally and be able to apply."
Rangers to skip Harrison's next start
ARLINGTON -- The Rangers will skip left-hander Matt Harrison on Tuesday at Tampa Bay against the Rays, deciding to start Scott Feldman in his place, manager Ron Washington announced on Saturday.Harrison, who gave up seven earned runs in five innings against the Red Sox in his start on Wednesday, will take the mound next in Boston on Sept. 4, 11 days after his previous start. "We just felt like he was the one that needed it the most," Washington said. "We've got something in place for [Alexi] Ogando, too, but that's further down the road."
Harrison will pitch in the bullpen, and possibly be used for individual innings at a time during his rest period."Just the fact that we're in uncharted waters, and we're just doing what we can to get through it. That's all," Washington said. Harrison said that he wanted to start, but he understood the decision and didn't see much use in protesting. "I don't think it would have been much good," Harrison said. "It's in my best interest to skip a start. I haven't rested since the All-Star break. They know it has been a while since I've thrown this many innings, and they'd rather have me good and ready to go for the last five starts than to keep pounding away and making it worse." Washington also announced that Saturday's starter, C.J. Wilson, would be starting every fifth day, regardless of whose turn it is in the rotation. That move buys the Rangers another start from their ace at the expense of a start from Ogando. The team is concerned with Ogando and Harrison becoming fatigued. Harrison's career high in innings is 167 2/3 innings between the Minors and Rangers in 2008. He has pitched 153 innings this season. Even though Holland has already thrown a career high in innings, Washington said the organization was not as concerned about him because he did not appear fatigued. He has pitched 165 1/3 innings this season, topping his career high of 150 2/3 innings in 2008 between three Minor League levels.
Beltre does some light running on Saturday
ARLINGTON -- Rangers third baseman Adrian Beltre, on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left hamstring, did some light running on Saturday just before joining Triple-A Round Rock to begin his rehab assignment on Monday."It's coming good. It's not 100 percent, but it's manageable," Rangers manager Ron Washington said. "You never are 100 percent with hamstrings. Hamstrings get well when you no longer have to use it, and you can just strengthen, strengthen, strengthen." There is no timetable for his return, but Washington has insisted that a player as experienced as Beltre can come back into the lineup on short notice without too much adjustment time. "We'll see how the first day goes, and then we'll see from there," Washington said. Beltre is batting .276 with a .505 slugging percentage in 388 at-bats this season. He played in each of the team's first 100 games, starting 99 of them. Washington said when Beltre comes back, the best thing he can do to avoid re-injuring the hamstring is to not exert himself too much on the basepaths. "Ball is hit in the gap, instead of you forcing it to home plate, you stop at third," Washington said. "Normal base hit that maybe you would score on, if you can't score, you stop at third base. That's the way you manage it. Balls he normally would do more on, you've got to recognize and not do more on it. That's all you can do." Beltre, who injured the hamstring on July 23, suffered a setback on Aug. 7 that caused him to restart his rehab after giving his hamstring more rest. Washington thinks the injury may show Beltre how fragile his hamstring is. "He understands [he has to manage it] because he hurt it again," Washington said. "If he wouldn't have hurt it again, we might not have had that problem. Since he hurt it and he knows how important he is, he's got to manage it. "We are definitely going to have to help him monitor it, because Beltre doesn't know the meaning of monitor."
Blanco to start rehab assignment on Monday
ARLINGTON -- Andres Blanco, who is recovering from lower back inflammation, will be joining Adrian Beltre on a rehab assignment at Omaha with Triple-A Round Rock on Monday.Blanco said the training staff expects him to spend all three days in Omaha, and then possibly be called up to the Majors. "I hope it's just three days, but you never know," he said. Blanco went on the disabled list on Aug. 9 with the inflammation. He also went on the disabled list on July 8 with a stress reaction in his back. At the end of his rehab stint, it will be Sept, 1, the day Major League rosters expand from 25 men to 40, which would mean that there would not need to be an accompanying roster move to bring Blanco back onto the active roster. Blanco said to minimize the chance of re-injuring the back, he would drop switch-hitting and only bat from the right side, even against right-handed pitchers. "I'm just going to bat right-handed because my left side is still sore," Blanco said. "I don't want to hurt my back and keep hurting it when I can go bat right-handed and just do fine." Blanco is batting .206 in 68 at-bats. He has primarily been used as an extra infielder for the Rangers.
Rangers outfielder Julio Borbon has been running in a pool and hitting off a tee. He will be re-evaluated by Dr. John Crates on Monday. Borbon had successful left ankle ligament repair surgery on July 18. After his six-RBI performance on Friday, Nelson Cruz became the first player in Rangers history to have six or more RBIs in three games in a single season, and the first in the Majors since Gary Sheffield in 2005. The Rangers, who have committed the third-most errors in the Majors going into Saturday's game, have gone errorless in seven consecutive games. It ties their longest errorless streak in the last four years.
Louie Horvath is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.