© 2008 MLB Advanced Media, L.P. All rights reserved.

04/10/08 9:25 PM ET

Rangers take first game of double bill

Ace Millwood pitches seven for his first win as 'pen spared

ARLINGTON -- Michael Young's one-out single in the top of the seventh inning scored Ian Kinsler with the tie-breaking run to spur the Rangers to a 3-1 victory over Baltimore in the first game of Thursday's doubleheader at Rangers Ballpark.

Kinsler started the winning rally with a one-out single, then stole second base with his double-play partner at the plate.

Young, batting an uncharacteristic .167 with runners in scoring position early in the season, calmly drove a 2-1 pitch from Orioles right-hander Steve Trachsel into left-center field to score Kinsler, breaking a 1-1 tie. It was the 100th and final pitch for Trachsel (1-1), who was pitching in Arlington for the first time since June 2003.

With Josh Hamilton batting next, Young stole second and advanced to third on a throwing error by Orioles catcher Ramon Hernandez. Hamilton brought Young home with a sacrifice fly to right for a 3-1 lead.

Hamilton also drove in the Rangers' first run. His one-out double in the first scored Young, who reached base that time when Baltimore right fielder Nick Markakis dropped a routine fly ball.

Rangers right-hander Kevin Millwood (1-2) notched his first win of the season with a strong 111-pitch effort that spanned seven innings.

Millwood was in danger of leaving with no decision after giving up a run in the second. Aubrey Huff started that inning with a walk and steal of second base, then scored on a one-out single by Hernandez to tie the game 1-1.

"It's nice," said Kevin Millwood on getting first win, despite a 1.29 ERA going into Thursday. "My whole goal was to get off to a good start this year and pitch well, and I think I've done that."

"He battled his guys out there today, and he certainly deserved this win," Rangers manager Ron Washington agreed. "We need him to lead our pitching staff, and I'll be darned if he isn't doing it."

The game was delayed for seven minutes at the start of the eighth. Rangers right-hander Joaquin Benoit had warmed up to replace Millwood with shadows covering much of the field. Orioles manager Dave Trembley asked for the stadium lights to be turned on and umpires crew chief Gerry Davis complied, though it took several minutes for the lamps to warm up.

If the request was meant to disrupt Benoit, it didn't work. He walked the second batter of the inning but struck out the side. Benoit fanned AL batting leader Luke Scott to end the eighth and set the stage for C.J. Wilson's second save of the season.

Ken Daley is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.