© 2007 MLB Advanced Media, L.P. All rights reserved.

08/23/07 1:34 AM ET

Late rally propels Rangers to sweep

Texas wins both ends of double dip, sets AL record for runs

BALTIMORE -- There was no letdown in Game 2, only a comeback victory and more records set.

The Rangers gained a sweep and set an American League record for most runs in a doubleheader in a 9-7 victory over the Baltimore Orioles in Game 2 at Camden Yards on Wednesday.

The Rangers, after a 30-3 victory in Game 1, scored 39 runs in the two games, breaking the American League mark of 36 set by the Detroit Tigers on Aug. 14, 1937, against the St. Louis Browns.

"After Game 1 we came in the clubhouse and said we have another game," manager Ron Washington said. "Let's keep battling and playing and see what happens. The guys kept pounding."

The Rangers had scored just 10 runs and were hitting .190 in their previous five games before tearing up the record books on Wednesday night.

"We've got the kind of team that's going to swing and miss," Washington said. "These two games we still swung and missed a little but we also did some damage. That's what you're going to do until we figure it out."

Travis Metcalf had four RBIs in the game, including a game-tying single in the eighth. That gave him eight RBIs in the doubleheader, tying a club record held by Toby Harrah and Bobby Bonds.

"The kid did a great job," Washington said. "He stepped right in and did an awesome job."

Metcalf was only called up because the Rangers were concerned about Michael Young's sore back and wanted to make sure they had an extra infielder. Metcalf arrived at the ballpark at 12:30 p.m. ET, 4 1/2 hours before the game. Twelve hours later he was in the Rangers record books.

"I'm tired," Metcalf said with a weary smile. "It's been a long day. It was amazing. I've never been a part of something like that. It was just a great day all-around."

The Rangers trailed 7-6 going into the top of the eighth but rallied against Orioles reliever James Hooey. Nelson Cruz led off with a single, Gerald Laird walked and then Metcalf singled through the right side to tie the game.

Ian Kinsler walked and Brad Wilkerson put the Rangers ahead with a sacrifice fly to left. Michael Young's single to right brought home an insurance run.

"This was big," outfielder Marlon Byrd said. "Guys just kept their focus. Guys were just zeroed in. We came out for the second game and just kept battling. We just kept getting big hits everywhere. Everybody got in on it both games."

Metcalf had a two-run double and sacrifice fly earlier in the game to go with the grand slam he hit in Game 1.

Metcalf came back to the Majors after hitting just .148 in 18 games and 61 at-bats at Triple-A Oklahoma. He had just six RBIs in those 61 at-bats. He also had just six RBIs in 100 at-bats in his first stay with the Rangers.

"I wasn't a big fan of Triple-A," Metcalf said. "I was struggling and I wasn't playing like myself. After I got the call, I knew I had to flip the switch and get back to business."

T.R. Sullivan is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.