© 2007 MLB Advanced Media, L.P. All rights reserved.

06/28/07 6:08 PM ET

Rangers' bid for sweep derailed

Millwood pitching better; Kinsler sprains left ankle in loss

DETROIT -- Roll call in the Rangers' locker room after a 5-2 loss to the Detroit Tigers on Thursday afternoon.

Ian Kinsler. Sprained left ankle. Crutches present at locker. Could be out up to a week, and the Rangers are hoping the disabled list is not necessary.

Gerald Laird. Bruised right knee. Day-to-day.

Kevin Millwood. Took another loss, but feeling better about his pitching.

Kenny Lofton. Not real thrilled with some of the calls Tigers pitcher Kenny Rogers was getting from home-plate umpire Paul Schrieber.

Manager Ron Washington?

He summed up the afternoon by saying, "They just beat us today." Those were some of the scenarios being dealt with by the Rangers after Rogers prevented a sweep by holding Texas to one run over five innings in his second outing since coming off the disabled list.

The Rangers still took two of three in the series from the first-place team in the American League Central. But as the Rangers flew east to meet another first-place team in the Boston Red Sox, Kinsler was the more immediate concern.

Kinsler turned his ankle on a swing-and-miss in the first inning. He stayed in for two more at-bats, including a fourth-inning double, but finally came out of the game limping in the bottom of the sixth.

He was examined by the Detroit team doctor and diagnosed with a mild sprained. Dr. Keith Meister, the Rangers' team physician, will examine Kinsler further in Boston on Friday.

"It doesn't feel too good," Kinsler said. "They said it was something that might be better tomorrow, it could be three days. It could be a week."

If it's longer than a week, Kinsler would likely go on the disabled list. The Rangers aren't going there now.

"We're hoping not to have to," general manager Jon Daniels said. "We'll try to get by for a day or two unless the doctors suggest otherwise."

Laird had a big wrap on his right knee after taking a foul ball off the kneecap.

"It's not that bad," Laird said. "It just knotted up real good on the kneecap."

Millwood has been a health concern for much of the first half and missed most of May with a hamstring injury. But he held the Tigers to three runs in six innings on Thursday afternoon and said it was the best of his six starts since coming off the disabled list.

"We lost, which is not what we wanted to do," Millwood said. "But I feel like I'm getting better each time out."

Millwood's biggest problem was six walks. He walked Gary Sheffield to lead off the fourth and he later scored the game's first run. Millwood also walked two in the sixth and that set up a two-run single by Carlos Guillen.

"He was trying to make good pitches on pretty good hitters, and they weren't biting," Washington said. "Some days they swing at those pitches and they put them in play. Today they weren't swinging. They didn't bite at some pretty good pitches."

Reliever Scott Feldman also walked Placido Polanco to lead off the seventh, and Sheffield followed with a two-run home run. Three of the Tigers' five runs reached base on walks.

Rangers pitchers walked seven on the afternoon. Rogers walked just one in six innings, and Tigers relievers Chad Durbin and Todd Jones did not walk anybody. Lofton expressed his frustration to Schrieber in the eighth inning and seemed close to getting tossed.

He stayed in the game and was asked about Rogers afterwards.

"He got the calls," Lofton said. "It's hard to explain. I can't explain. You watched the game, you saw what happened."

T.R. Sullivan is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.