Pirates Press Release
Pirates parking and traffic tips and information for Sunday
ALCO Parking to offer $2 parking in Strip District lot & Manor Garage downdown
The Pittsburgh Pirates will host the Cincinnati Reds at 1:35 p.m. on Sunday, September 22 at PNC Park. The Pittsburgh Steelers will play host to the Chicago Bears at Heinz Field at 8:30 p.m., so the Pirates will strongly encourage fans to come early and plan ahead to avoid delays.
The Roberto Clemente Bridge will close to vehicular traffic beginning at 8 a.m. and will reopen when clear of pedestrian traffic, approximately 30 to 40 minutes after the game at PNC Park concludes.
Fans not holding pre-sold parking passes on the North Shore are encouraged to park in downtown, especially those arriving after 12 p.m. noon. Parking in the Golden Triangle and Strip District will be available for just $5 in the Parking Authority Garages. Also for Sunday, ALCO Parking will make available $2 parking for all Pirates fans in the 11th and Smallman Street parking lot, as well as the Manor Garage located at 564 Forbes Avenue in downtown.
Other suggestions include:
- River Avenue Lots -
- From West I-376 or East I-376, take I-279 (Ft Duquesne Bridge) northbound to Exit 1D (on right) to Chestnut Ramp (on right); then right on Chestnut Street and right at traffic signal;
- From North I-279, take Exit 2B to East Street and East Ohio Street eastbound to Chestnut Street southbound;
- From North Route 28, take East Ohio Street to Chestnut Street southbound.
- Grant Street Transportation Center (near Convention Center) - Enter via Penn Avenue or 12th Street from the 10th Street bypass. Check for space availability via iPhone (ParkPGH); Mobile (m.parkpgh.org); SMS/Text and Voice (412-423-8980).
- Station Square Gateway Clipper Shuttles - The Gateway Clipper will take fans directly to PNC Park from this location. Children under turnstile height (30 inches) are free.
- Fulton Avenue Lot - This lot is located on the north side of the West End Bridge. Fans can ride the free "T" from the Allegheny Station.
Fans can utilize the free "T" service offered by the Port Authority from the four Golden Triangle stations, as well as the Allegheny Station outside of Heinz Field, to the North Side Station just outside of PNC Park's Trib-Total Media Home Plate Gate. For example, fans can park at the many garages in the downtown area and ride the "T" to the doorstep of PNC Park for free.
In addition, the Port Authority provides a number of convenient bus routes from all over the area with direct access to the North Shore or from the Golden Triangle via the, free "T".
The Pirates recommend fans arrive as early as possible as parking lots become filled quickly. Fans are also encouraged to retrieve their cars and exit the area immediately following the conclusion of the Pirates game in order to minimize possible delays.