TOR@SEA: DeRosa drives in pair with single to left

TORONTO -- Mark DeRosa was reportedly claimed by an unknown team this week, but it appears he won't be packing his bags anytime soon.

Toronto had the option of trading DeRosa to the claiming team or allow that organization to claim his services free of charge, but instead the Blue Jays pulled him off the revocable waivers.

DeRosa was aware of the move but said Toronto didn't approach him about the process. He added he's curious, just like everybody else, about which team put in the claim.

"I take it as a compliment to be claimed, and I take it as a compliment to be pulled back," DeRosa said. "That's the way I look at it. I don't know who the team was that claimed me, I look forward to finding out just for my own curiosity.

"I looked at it, if it's a chance to get back to the postseason and Toronto gives me that opportunity, then it's something I'd have to seriously consider. But that wasn't the case, so I'm here and I'm getting ready for [batting practice]."

The Blue Jays have a team option on DeRosa's contract for next season valued at $750,000. This was originally expected to be the 38-year-old's final year in the Major Leagues, but after a successful run as a part-time player in Toronto that could change.

DeRosa, who popped out in his only at-bat of a 14-6 loss to the A's on Friday, remained non-committal when asked if he will retire after the season, but made it clear that the Blue Jays' disappointing season won't impact his decision either way. Instead, the final call will be based off a conversation he has with his family during the offseason.

"I go back and forth on it every day and I think my family will play a huge part in that," DeRosa said. "In the offseason, we'll sit down and discuss as a family. I've been gone a long time and my wife always has the line, 'Do you want to raise 24 men or do you want to raise your own son?'

"It's a little below the belt to tell me those things, but I wholeheartedly understand. It will be a family decision, but I still feel like I can compete."

DeRosa is hitting .230, but he has seven homers and 29 RBIs in 63 games. DeRosa has been particularly useful against left-handers as evidenced by his .841 OPS against them, and despite a lack of range, his defense remains steady at both second and third base.

DeRosa was signed in the offseason to provide a veteran presence in the Blue Jays' clubhouse. He played a major role in a pair of closed-door meetings earlier this season and was singled out by manager John Gibbons on Friday afternoon as making a positive impact on the career of third baseman Brett Lawrie.

Lawrie is a highly energetic infielder that has experienced more than his fair share of ups and downs over the past three years but there has recently been a noticeable change in his on-field demeanor. Lawrie always will be a fiery type, but he's appeared a little more calm of late, and the belief is that he is finally starting to listen to DeRosa and others who have been attempting to provide the right type of guidance.

"He was great in Spring Training, but he was set in his ways, was going to try it his way," DeRosa said. "I get that, he's young, he's full of energy and he has an abundance of talent. I think he has realized that stuff doesn't always necessarily mean you're going to play great ... The one thing I always tell him is that your energy and passion is what makes you great on defense, but I think it's your Achilles' heel on offense.

"He's a totally different hitter now, he's relaxed, he's more upright, he's using his hands, he's studying video. He is getting more mature in the game, brighter and realizing it's not just about God-given ability. There is a mental side to this game."

Arencibia to avoid stint on disabled list

LAD@TOR: Arencibia singles home Lind in the ninth

TORONTO -- J.P. Arencibia is expected to avoid a stint on the 15-day disabled list, but a timeframe for his return to the Blue Jays' lineup remains uncertain.

Arencibia was at risk of being placed on the DL with a right knee injury prior to Friday night's game against the A's, but the pain went away just enough to make Toronto's starting catcher available in an emergency situation (though he didn't play in the 14-6 loss).

The 27-year-old has been diagnosed with bursitis, an inflammation of the prepatellar bursa at the front of the knee. He has been dealing with it for most of the season but recently had it flare up while catching left-hander J.A. Happ in the bullpen.

"It's been there for awhile," Arencibia said. "We tried to take care of it before the All-Star break, and it started getting a little bit better, but bursitis, the recipe for that is rest, and there's no time for that."

Arencibia said the pain is most noticeable when he is attempting to block balls in the dirt. The ailment is expected to linger throughout the remainder of the season.

Backup catcher Josh Thole was in the starting lineup on Friday, making his fourth consecutive start behind the plate, and he went 1-for-3 with a walk. Thole will continue to carry the load until Arencibia returns, which could happen either Saturday or Sunday. Veteran utility man Mark DeRosa is also available to catch should the need arise.

Following a hot start, Arencibia has struggled at the plate. He is batting .211 with 17 homers, 45 RBIs and a .641 OPS, but dismissed any notion that his injury could be related to his offensive woes.

"I don't think so, I'm not going to sit here and say those things," Arencibia said. "It's bothered me before, it'll take me a while to get loose. I've definitely felt it throughout different parts of my game, but I think it's something that is a nagging injury. You can't really do much other than rest. It's there."

Cabrera probably out until September

LAD@TOR: Melky makes a nice play on the liner

TORONTO -- Left fielder Melky Cabrera is expected to be out the Blue Jays' lineup until at least the beginning of September.

Cabrera has been on the 15-day disabled list since Aug. 2 with a left knee injury. Toronto originally said there were "issues" found in the meniscus and that he would have to be sent for further evaluations at the club's Minor League complex in Florida.

Surgery was a possibility, but that has since been ruled out and the former All-Star will now go through a period of rest before eventually resuming baseball activities.

"I wouldn't expect him back before September, that's all we really know," Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said. "There was a question of whether they were going to need to scope it to clean it up, but they didn't need to do that. Now it's just resting it, healing up."

Cabrera has been bothered by injuries in both of his legs since the end of Spring Training. It has severely hampered his range in left, while possibly having a negative impact on his offensive numbers. Cabrera is hitting .279 this season, but has only 20 extra-base hits in 88 games.

Emilio Bonifacio and Rajai Davis will continue to split time in left during Cabrera's absence. If Cabrera suffers any type of setback, it's likely prospect Kevin Pillar will also get a look in the outfield when the Blue Jays' roster can be expanded to 40 players on Sept. 1.

Perez likely headed to disabled list

OAK@TOR: Perez forced to exit in the seventh inning

TORONTO -- Juan Perez is likely headed for the disabled list after he suffered a left-elbow injury during the seventh inning of Toronto's 14-6 loss to the A's on Friday night.

Perez was removed after he induced a ground ball off the bat of Yoenis Cespedes. Blue Jays manager John Gibbons and head trainer George Poulis immediately ran onto the field and he was taken out shortly afterwards.

The 34-year-old received an initial diagnosis during the game, but the full report won't be available until he undergoes further tests on Saturday morning.

"Well it doesn't look good, but there's nothing definite yet," Gibbons said late Friday night. "They'll re-examine it tomorrow but it doesn't look good."

Perez became one of the surprise stories of the Blue Jays this season when he exceeded expectations by securing a permanent spot on the 25-man roster. He responded to the opportunity by breaking a 35-year-old record with 22 1/3 consecutive innings without allowing an earned run to begin a Blue Jays career.

The Dominican Republic native didn't allow an earned run until the streak finally ended against the Dodgers on July 24. That surpassed the previous mark of 21 1/3 scoreless innings set by Victor Cruz from June 24-31, 1978.

Perez often was forced to throw a lot of innings as part of an extremely overworked Blue Jays bullpen. All but seven of his 19 appearances were more than one inning, and he threw 56 pitches in just 1 2/3 innings on Friday before suffering the injury.