MINNEAPOLIS -- On Sunday afternoon, fresh from his day off, Michael Young moved into a tie with Rafael Palmeiro for the most games played in franchise history.

With his start at first base against the Twins, Young -- who is signed through 2013 -- has played in 1,573 games. He will break the record on Tuesday, when the Rangers open a three-game series with the Yankees in New York.

"It means a lot to me, it really does," Young said. "It means as much as [having the Rangers' all-time] hit record, for me to be in one place my entire career, to go to the World Series with this organization. I've given them everything I have. To play the game hard and grind and pound your way through a six-month season, you have to take pride in your job."

Young made his Major League debut with the Rangers on Sept. 29, 2000, against the Athletics in Oakland after being acquired from the Blue Jays earlier in the season. He was not a September callup but was brought up during the final weekend of the season because the club was in last place and hit hard by injuries.

His first appearance came as a pinch-runner with the Rangers trailing, 7-5, with two out in the ninth inning after pinch-hitter Pedro Valdes drew a walk.

"Bobby Jones was our first-base coach," Young said. "The stadium was packed because Oakland was trying to clinch a playoff spot that weekend. The P.A. announcer said I was pinch-running and making my Major League debut. The crowd booed.

"Bobby Jones said, 'What did you do to these people?' Then there was a pop foul, and that was it. It was pretty quick."

Young played three innings the next day as a defensive replacement for Royce Clayton. The Rangers lost, 23-2, and Young went 0-for-2. He returned to the Major Leagues on May 25, 2001, when second baseman Randy Velarde went down with an injury. He has been in the lineup ever since.

Young has never been on the disabled list, and in eight of the nine seasons from 2002 to 2010, he played in at least 156 games. He played in 135 games in 2009 while missing much of September with a strained hamstring.

A couple of games stand out for Young.

"[One is] when we clinched last year in Oakland," he said. "That was by far the most memorable game for me. I remember going out in the ninth inning with a chance to lock it down. Then we did, we celebrated and had fun. It was my first chance to pop champagne in the clubhouse. A great day."

The other was on June 11, 2001. Young is from Los Angeles, and on that day the Rangers played an Interleague game at Dodger Stadium. With his family there, Young hit his first Major League home run.

"That was pretty sweet," he said. "Looking back, it was nice being able to do it at that ballpark, in a place I grew up watching baseball."

Rangers shelve Napoli, call up Teagarden

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Rangers have put catcher Mike Napoli on the disabled list with a strained oblique muscle in his left ribcage and called up catcher Taylor Teagarden from Triple-A Round Rock.

Napoli started developing soreness on Friday, when it was cold and wet at Target Field. He played first base on Friday and caught on Saturday.

"I felt it more with every at-bat and every swing," Napoli said. "I thought I could play through it. I'm always sore catching."

Napoli might have been able to play after a few days' rest, but the Rangers don't want the injury to worsen. They are hoping he will be sidelined for the minimum 15 days or return shortly thereafter.

"The risk of exacerbating the injury is not worth the reward of waiting," assistant general manager Thad Levine said.

Teagarden has played three games with the Rangers this season over two previous callups and is a career .216 hitter over parts of four seasons in the Major Leagues. He was hitting .326 with three home runs and nine RBIs in 24 games with Round Rock.

"The report is that he's swinging the bat well in Triple-A," manager Ron Washington said.

Yorvit Torrealba, who was behind the plate on Sunday against the Twins, will likely catch three or four games in a row, then Teagarden will get a chance.

"I want to keep Teagarden engaged," Washington said. "He's not here to sit around."

Feldman sharp in second rehab start

FRISCO, Texas -- Scott Feldman, pitching for Double-A Frisco, looked sharp in his second rehab start on Saturday night, going four innings, giving up only three hits and two runs with four strikeouts in 56 pitches.

"That was by far the best I've felt since the [microfracture] surgery [on my right knee in November], so I just hope it keeps feeling that good, because I feel like I could pitch and help the team out if I'm feeling like that," Feldman said. "I felt a lot stronger and felt like I could repeat my delivery."

Feldman was economical, throwing fewer than 14 pitches in all but one inning. It was his first start since May 14, as he spent the extra time building up strength in the knee.

The only blip was a two-run third inning in which the Missions hit back-to-back singles to start the frame; both runners scored on RBI groundouts.

Feldman reported no discomfort after the game.

"The thing I was just happy about [is that] my knee felt the same way in the fourth inning as it did in the first inning," he said. "I am feeling fine now. It's not bothering me at all."

Feldman said that the next step is another, longer start in five days.

"I think I'm going to stay on the regular schedule," he said. "Five days from now, I'll throw again. I've just got to find out if it will be here, in [Triple-A] Round Rock or anywhere else."

Webb set to get back on the mound

MINNEAPOLIS -- Brandon Webb made it through his bullpen sessionon Saturday night and will make a second rehab start for Double-A Frisco on Tuesday against Midland.

Webb, who hasn't pitched in the Majors in more than two years after undergoing surgery on his right shoulder, will be starting for the first time since May 30. He has been trying to work through the continued stiffness and discomfort that has been plaguing him since Spring Training.

"Everything went well, and he's ready to get going again," pitching coach Mike Maddux said.

Webb pitched for Frisco on May 30 and allowed five runs on eight hits and two walks in 3 1/3 innings.

Worth noting

• David Bush has a big ugly bruise behind his left leg after being hit by a ground ball in Saturday's game. Bush, who pitched 4 2/3 innings -- the longest relief outing of his career -- wasn't going to be available on Sunday anyway but said he should be fine in a few days. Said Bush: "It's a little tight, but it looks worse than it is."

• Tommy Hunter's next rehab start is scheduled for Tuesday in Nashville.